August 11, 2011

Chicken Soup (The Medicine)

Well, I sure didn’t think I'd be talking about plain old chicken soup in my second week of blogging. I was aiming for something a wee bit more glamorous. But the thing is, I have got myself a nasty mcnasty flu the likes of which I have not experienced since I was a kid. To tell you the truth, I wasn’t planning to blog at all this week, but today I mustered up the strength to crawl out of my cave and made a huge pot of chicken soup… simple, basic chicken soup, the cure of all ailments. And maybe it’s just because I’m so sick, but it’s been tasting like the best thing in the world to me (despite its not-so-handsome appearance as you may notice in the video). I’ve been sipping it all afternoon in the hammock, between snoozes, a bit of knitting, and reading Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (a MUST-READ for any food lover). Maya, my roommate’s dog came sauntering over and I gave her a little chicken skin. At first she didn’t like it. But then she sort of clued in to the deliciousness and I captured our ensuing interactions on video. To tell you the truth, I’ve always been a big-dog-person, and not very appreciative of little dogs, until I moved here that is, and met Maya.




She pretty much stole my heart from day 1. Now, I realize that to some of you this video may seem like terrible canine etiquette (feeding the dog as I’m eating) but just so you know her mommy did say that I could. 
CHICKEN SOUP (THE MEDICINE)

Broth:
Organic chicken (ideally a whole chicken, but I used a bag of wings and it was great)
Fresh sage, parsley, a head of garlic, lots of ginger, and salt & pepper
Garnish: Fresh-squeezed lime juice & chopped cilantro

Gently simmer everything together for a couple hours, until the chicken meat falls off the bones. Ideally separate the meat and strain out the broth (but I didn’t even have the energy to do this, hence all the skins & fat I had in my bowl to give to Maya). Squeeze in lots of lime juice and serve which fresh cilantro. C’est tout.


13 comments:

  1. I am soooo loving your videos. I couldn't get the garlic one out of my mind today. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! I think the heart capturing was definitely mutual!!! I've watched this video five times already and it still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I hope you feel better soon. I am a great lover of soups, I'd love to trade some recipes at some point. (it's wilf)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg those big eyes!!! funny video Aube, hope you feel better soon

    xox
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, I swear to god my dog sings that very song when my mother is feeding her caribou fat, or when she gets to eat some slimey fish skin :)

    Excellent recipe! I'll have to try it out and add salt, but then again, I am pretty salty.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah, salt!! totally forgot to list that, flu-brain, going to add it now, it was definitely in there, lots of it ;-) Thanks for catching that Steph - mm, I miss those caribou stews you used to make on Crompton! Is your mom still smoking her own salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, I'm so glad you like the videos! Wilf, the soup recipe trade is on: send me your favorite and I'll send you mine :-) Thanks for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are all better! Love a good simple recipe with loads of flavour:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Maya the dog on this one, and not simply because she is my namesake (or I, hers). Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so similar to the way i make it minus the sage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, just saw that you wrote back :) Now that I'm living in Labrador I certainly get to enjoy caribou more often! And, yes, my mom still uses her mad smoking skills for salmon. She was just speaking of making some the other day.

    Come for a visit, enjoy our local goodies!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete