June 07, 2013

Eggs Poached in Maple Syrup

It's been said we Canadians have identity issues. I heard someone say once that we're better at defining ourselves by who we're not (ie: we love to proclaim we are not American) than by who / what we actually are. And then there's food. Is there such a thing as Canadian cuisine? That's a hard question to answer. I was pleased to be asked to contribute to the Canadian Food Experience Project which has set out to answer that very question and to explore our Canadian food heritage.

OK so I know maple syrup is the obvious / cliché Canadian food... but as my first contribution, I couldn't help but share something kind of crazy I remember eating as a kid: eggs poached in maple syrup.


Although he denies it, I distinctly remember my dad making this for me when I was little. You may remember my dad. I've written about his passion for maple syrup before and made this video of him last spring when I joined him on his annual maple syrup making adventure.



This recipe is the ultimate celebration of maple syrup. And it's so easy it hardly qualifies as a recipe. There's not much to say about it other than you literally just poach an egg in a pot of boiling maple syrup. It's rich and heavenly, perfect for dipping warm toast into, or served on crepes for the ultimate brunch. If the yolk is soft, it will run and mix with the maple syrup and possibly dribble down your chin and the whole thing is a big sloppy and delicious mess. My mom used to say "c'est cochon, mais c'est tellement bon" (roughly translating as "pigging out in the best possible way"). Try it and let me know what you think.

I'm curious to know, what are YOUR favourite Canadian recipes?

MAPLE SYRUP POACHED EGGS

1 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup water
About 4 eggs, depending on how many people you're feeding

Pour the maple syrup and water in a very small saucepan (the smaller the better as more of your eggs will be submerged in the syrup). Bring the syrup to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low. Crack the eggs directly into the gently simmering maple syrup (you may wish to poach 2 eggs at a time so they aren't too crowded). As they cook, spoon a little of the hot syrup over the yolks every now and again. Poach for about 3 minutes if you like your yolks soft, and longer according to your personal preference. Serve the eggs in a generous pool of maple syrup. Serve with warm crusty bread to use for dipping and mopping up. Bon appétit!


8 comments:

  1. Dear Aube,
    You have be vibrating as I read this post. I must come back to watch the video as I am working to get the round up complete and my sister is in the hospital needing me today, too... (she is fine)... I can imagine this flavour combination after being to my one Sugar Shack experience. Oh, my. Is this just your dad's concoction? Standing ovation from moi!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - watched the video. IT IS CLASSIC CANADIANA. Can you please post the recipe with the video in a future challenge, or here - or send it to me? Why was the maple syrup so dark in the cups? It looked like coffee. What is the name of this pie in English, if there is a translation. I think I have found a new friend. I am so delighted to learn so much from you, Aube, in one visit.
    Big hug,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, thanks for visiting and watching the video :-) In English it's called Maple Syrup Pie and you can find the recipe here: http://kitchenvignettes.blogspot.ca/2012/04/maple-syrup-pie.html - the maple syrup is lighter at the beginning of the season and gets progressively darker... (in the maple industry, maple syrup is assigned different grades depending on colour)
      Glad you enjoyed it :-)

      Delete
  3. The Maple Syrup Poached eggs sound fantastic!

    And I loved the video. Those pies were gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maple syrup poached eggs...yummmm! Loved your great video. I always keep maple syrup on hand and love it. At the moment I am lucky enough to have the darker. I find it has more flavour. Or am I imagining this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your videos!!! They are so wonderful and bring a big smile to my face. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Caitlin! I'm working on a particularly challenging video today and have videographer's block I guess, so your words of encouragement came at the perfect moment!! Thanks :-)

      Delete
  6. I am hosting my Quebecoise friend and her family for brunch this Sunday. I am definitely adding these eggs to my menu!

    ReplyDelete