December 31, 2013

My 2013 recipe round-up

It's been one helluva year. 

2013 was the year I officially left the big city lights and the fulfilling job I had there, in a leap of faith to move back to the east coast, closer to the ocean, my family, my sweetheart, and my dream of growing as much of my own food as possible. 





It hasn't been an easy leap that's for sure. I dove into it all a bit starry-eyed and it took a particularly grumpy and uncompromising border guard last February to make me realize cross-border romance is not always a walk in the park. But despite a rather unsettled year with a lot of back-and-forths across the border, I managed to finally find a resting place on a magical farm on the northern shore of Nova Scotia. Through it all, I cooked, ate, discovered new recipes, and shared the worthy ones with all you wonderful friends and fellow food lovers. Where would I have been without you and the enthusiasm and encouragement you shared with me? In some ways, this blog became my home, the place I came back to again and again, wherever I happened to be throughout this nomadic year. 


From finding new ways to sneak furry creature cameos in my videos, to starting to blog for PBS Food to interviewing my favorite GMO activist, to starting a monthly giveaway, it's been an adventurous year and I've learned so much along the way. I can't thank you enough for your kind-hearted words, your stories, your recipe ideas, and your feedback on my videos, posts, and recipes. To all the new readers, a warm welcome to you! Here's to another year exploring food together. May this new year bring you joy, adventure, and everything you most deeply wish for.


Here's a look back and a little round-up of this year's most popular recipes.









The ultimate brunch: ginger broccoli fritters topped with poached egg and green tea-poached wild salmon smothered in miso hollandaise





Sesame Chocolate Buckwheat Shortbread





Lemon Poppyseed "Larabars"








Honey Lemon Polenta Cake





Banana Cajeta Pudding Chomeur





Semolina Gnocchi Stuffed with Asparagus




Nettle Fettuccine Alfredo




Lentils with Roasted Beets and Carrots





Cherry Tomato Galette





Zucchini "No Noodle" Lasagna




Teff Porridge with Dates, Apples, and Pecans




Delicata Squash and Sage Biscuits




Kale Salad with Caramelized Parsnips, Pomegranate, and Hazelnuts




Classic Tourtière

A most joyful food-filled 2014 and my very best wishes to you all!



8 comments:

  1. What a great year of recipes! Looking forward to 2014. I love your inclusion of vegetarian friendly recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! A very happy 2014 to you! Many more veg-friendly recipes to come in this new year :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Aube. You are definitely one of my favourite Canadian bloggers and I am still heartsick that you are not contributing to The Canadian Food Experience Project anymore. You are completely aligned with my personal food philosophy and do beautiful work - and do you know that the Kinfolk mags and book are made by one of my very best friends for life's sister's son? Small, small world.
    Keep doing what you are doing. It is so edifying.
    :)
    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Valerie :-) And very cool about the Kinfolk link, small world indeed! Happy 2014 to you and very best wishes with the Canadian Food Experience Project :-)

      Delete
  3. I recently found your blog through another blog (Spite or Flight) who introduced me to your no-knead bread. First batch is on the counter, rising as we speak. So excited to catch up on the last couple of years and see what's upcoming.

    I have a question about your photos. Are they actually photos of the food you make, or are they like a lot of food in commercials and ads, where they look gorgeous, but you wouldn't want to eat them? I ask because I'm a photographer (families) who would LOVE to start photographing my own recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, thanks for finding me and for your kind words! To answer your question, yes, ALL my food photos are of real food that I prepare and then devour :-) I try to make the food look appealing just as I do when I'm about to serve something (that may mean using sprigs of herbs or edible flowers and arranging the food carefully on the plate), but I generally keep the 'styling' to a minimum. Hope this helps, I encourage you to photograph your recipes, especially if you're already a photographer, it's fun and addictive.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed scrolling down through your article although it's my first time here. Ok wait..I'm interested about the heart-shaped shortbread.. I hope you can share some recipes too.. Your food looks very delicious and i'm drooling now..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a fan now! Loving these articles. :) So vibrant and warm.

    ReplyDelete